Thursday, October 16, 2008

child birth classes

Kanton and I signed up for child birth classes at a place called Gracewinds in Seattle. I was really excited about it since they seemed to have more focus on better techniques to deal with a natural labor/birth. The labor and birth series was 5 weeks long, then we also paid extra for a few more classes - newborn care, breast feeding and a fatherhood class.

We got 3 classes into the child birth series and were just informed that the business has gone bankrupt and all classes going forward are canceled. I'm pretty frustrated because it looks like we won't be getting our money back and at this point I don't think we can find classes anywhere else to get started with and finished in time before the birth.

The instructor was telling us that she actually hasn't even gotten paid in months - all of the instructors were basically just volunteering hoping that the business could make it through. She offered to give us one last class (another couple in the class offered to have them at their house) to try and wrap things up. I really appreciate her doing this - especially without pay. It's a bummer, though, to have to put 4 hours of material into a tiny time slot... but I guess it's better then nothing at this point.

So that's that :P

Kanton and I are going to try and put some of the finishing touches on the nursery soon and will post some photos once that happens so stay tuned.

No comments: