Sunday, February 28, 2010

Big Changes in 2010

It has been awhile so I suppose its time for an update.

I just found out a few weeks ago I won't be working for much longer. My office is closing and they are moving the work to our main office in Dallas. My team does great work and I think the company will miss that (they are replacing us with a group of mostly new people, and not to throw them under a bus but also a group of people that just don't seem to put in as much effort, but of course I am biased... so it will be quite an adjustment for the customers to deal with the growing pains of it all) but I can see how it can be of benefit to the company to manage so many different locations. Even though I saw this coming, it still hurt quite a bit when the news was delivered. When you work hard and do a great job one tends to think something like this can't happen to them. But the reality of the situation is that it is business and nothing personal. They really don't care who the people involved are (that sounds so cut throat) just what is the benefit to the company. I put in 10 years there - I have seen this company through 4 different business names, a bankruptcy, 6 different jobs from being a temporary worker in the mail room to running my own department... I met Kanton after I started working there, got married, had Orin.... I have had a lot of milestones over the last 10 years. Even though I wasn't always happy with my job, it will be a hard chapter in my life to close.
All along I kept hoping I was just being paranoid and that it wasn't going to happen. I still don't even think the reality of the situation has hit me yet (and it probably won't until I am not working for awhile). We still haven't been told how long we will be around. We were told they want to have the transition complete on or before May 31, so I am thinking sometime in late April/early May, but really it could be at any time.

All of these changes have really had me thinking. What do I want to do next? Will I be able to find a job in this economy? How long will it take? People have asked me what my plan is and if I have started looking for a job yet. But really, I just don't know what to do. First things first, I am going to spend some time with Orin. For that, I am really appreciative. He is growing up so quickly. I look at photos of him when he was a few months old and recognize him, but can't quite remember how things were. He is hitting some milestones a little slower then some (he is JUST now starting to walk) but it still seems fast to me when I think back on all of the accomplishments he has made so far. There is so much joy and love in my heart when it comes to him. Watching him grow more independent is really so bitter sweet for me.

While I am out of work I also want to try to post here more. I always think to myself "well he didn't do anything new this week so there is no point in posting" but obviously he is so different now then he was even a month ago. Even if I can't identify every detail at that moment, I still think its good to at least capture some thoughts... I just need to try to stay focused and come up with some routines so I don't go totally stir crazy at home with the boy ;)

2010 is off to a bit of a rough start, but I am hoping its just a bump in the road of life and that many great things are in store for me and my family. I am trying to be optimistic about the whole situation and just trust that life has better things in store for me. Wish me luck!

No comments: